Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Black Ops Review/Rant

Alright, well this blog is new, Black Ops is relatively new, so I may as well write a review about this game first.

Black Ops is by no means a bad game, it's fun to play for me. However Treyarch (aka 3arc) seems to have done a pretty sloppy job in the technical aspects of the game. Sure, the game looks nice, and the multiplayer has a whole new Wager Match mode and all of that good stuff, but the games non-visible aspects seem to be lacking.

For example, the anti-lag. The anti-lag coding has been the same ever since Call of Duty 4, and this is definitely a bad thing. Anti-lag itself is a good thing, there is some lag compensation so you don't actually have to lead a lagging target to get hit markers, but the anti-lag that this game uses is just old. I know that 3arc can do a better job with it, because they should know that there is always going to be lag and it's always going to piss people off, and it really shouldn't be too hard of a problem to fix with a patch.

Next, the gun stats. Now, most people don't care enough about games to actually learn how much damage each gun does over what range, and it's RPM and all of that. However, if you look at the stats (Found here: http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/4396/weaponefja2w.png), a majority of the guns are exactly the same. Just as an example, sniper rifles. Every single sniper rifle is 70 damage, 50 with a silencer. The only differences are very small: Recoil, clip size, and damage multipliers, and possibly other subtle differences other then the way the gun looks in-game. Oh, they also have different looking scopes (However, you can only actually see this if you're outputting in HD for some reason)

Gameplay-wise, I have to say this game is still fun. Although the Call of Duty series has become very noob-friendly, they seemed to have balanced out things like grenade launchers and flamethrowers. I thought when I first bought the game that those 2 objects would still be crazy overpowered, but the "Noob Tube" has been nerfed from the Modern Warfare 2 version, and is just like the grenade launcher from World at War (And is also called the 'Pro Pipe' by some, definitely a more appropriate name). For some reason though, when I first bought Modern Warfare 2 I played it for 3 straight months every day for hours on end before I got bored of it, Black Ops however, it took me 3-4 weeks before I stopped playing it, and to be honest I haven't put the game into my PS3 since before Christmas. The only time I have played it since then is at friends houses, and I really don't know why. I have a lot of interest in the game, and I watch YouTube commentators like WhiteBoy7thst (http://www.youtube.com/user/WhiteBoy7thst) who only play Black Ops, but I just don't have the motivation to pick up the game again and play it. Maybe I will though after writing this little review/rant.

Well anyways, if anyone actually reads this thanks for reading. I should probably give Black Ops an actual review eventually, because this was more of a rant and didn't talk about the actual game very much. And, if anyone actually sees this, leave a comment and let me know if you like this type of review/rant, or if you would like more of an actual review that talks more in-depth about the game and its pros/cons.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I found a lot of what you said here to be pretty damn accurate.

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Powered by Blogger